Never To Be Silenced

Enslaved…………Demoralized…………..Ridiculed
For being self
A fight a battle many have fought along the path to perfect justice
Not having a place to sit
Being pushed to the back of the bus
Separated by not only gender but color too
Not being evaluated by one’s own merit
But color seemed to be the only pre-requisite
As the days passed we attempted to become the accepting factor
But you can look at the curvature of my waist
The kink in my hair
The mahogany of my tone
And know that I am fine being naturally me
See I stand on the shoulders of those that have went before me
Motivated and inspired by the likes of MLK
Not afraid to speak of the injustices placed forth
Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter. 
Spoken by none other than MLK
With that I vow to never be silenced
See that is why I lay my pen to this purity
For the only pure race is the human race
Segregation is the adultery of an illicit intercourse between injustice and immorality. 
Different and unique we all are
But the shade of my skin does not define my skill
It is for those naysayers that I continue to travel uphill
With the Lord as my father directing every path
I am bound to defeat the world’s wrath
Within my lifetime I have seen a black man take lead
President Obama promising to fulfill a good deed
Ridiculed and tested not only for works unapproved
But also questioned from the very beginning in reference to his roots
...And I've looked over, and I've seen the promised land. I may not get there with you, but I want you to know tonight that we as a people will get to the promised land. So I'm happy tonight. I'm not worried about anything. I'm not fearing any man. 
I mirror MLK’s sentiment, we are not there yet
But I know that We Shall Overcome and be moved from last to first
Matthew 20:16 ties it all together best
"So the last will be first, and the first will be last." 

_Enigma (01/15/2012)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for sharing your thoughts with me, SP & many other fellow Poets out here who find peace with expression. Words are powerful and because you took the time to share your thoughts here remember you're making a difference. Use your Voice to give back to the world!
Much <3 SP